A time to share

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Creating something magical?

As you will see, it takes quite a bit of work to make a nice performing table for someone. My friend Randy ordered a special table from me and I thought I'd share a little of the process. Randy wanted a special size table. We have been discussing this for about a year. Finally we decided on the right size for him. He also wanted the paisley red fabric shown in the photo's.
I start out by cutting a piece of plywood to the dimensions specified.
Randy's Table 001
I use spray on glue to attach quarter inch header material over the board and then I am ready to staple the selected fabric to the board. Once this is accomplished, I begin the exacting cuts needed to frame the table using Oak molding. I make the cuts using my chop saw. I use wood glue and nails to attach the molding and fill the holes with fast drying wood putty.
Randy's Table 003
I cover the fabric with a plastic linerRandy's Table 004 using masking tape to protect the fabric as I sand the molding. This for me is the hardest part of the project. Once the molding is sanded to my satisfaction, I stain the wood and let dry. Then I use a spray on lacquer to finish the project.
Voila!
Randy's Table 006

1 Comments:

Blogger Timmy Jimmy said...

Sol...
Let's get together on that. You have my number. Tell me the dimensions you want.

4:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home