A time to share

Saturday, February 16, 2008

No Waaaaaayy...

Star date: Saturday, February 16th 2008...
30 years ago today was my first day working for Boeing! OH MY, OH MY! How the time does fly.
I remember that first day and a supervisor, Dick Gleason, showing me around this gigantic warehouse. It was a building called the 4-63 building. It was enormous. Now it is just a memory as it has been torn down along with many other buildings.
I hired in as a store keeper, grade 0. Now I am a Motive Equipment operator grade 8.
In 1978 my starting pay was $6.01 an hour, today it is $30.81 an hour.
I was embarrassed to be employed at Boeing as it was a stones throw from my Alma Matter, Renton High School. I figured I'd work there about five years. Along the way things have changed, I got married,(27 years this March!) had three children and the benefits of dental and medical insurance for our children have a way of locking you into your job.
I played a lot of sports through the Boeing receation dept. Softball in my early twenties and basketball as well. Later at about age 34, I went out and played three seasons of hard ball. I made the All Star team and had the wonderful opportunity to play in Cheney Stadium. The minor league ballpark of the Tacoma Rainiers!
I don't know what the future holds for me at Boeing. The Renton plant is slowly vanishing. Maybe someday I will have to go to work in Everett at the Boeing plant there.
I am 48 as I type, I will be 49 next month. I haven't really thought much about retiring. Katie is only 14 and is planning to go to college. She wants to be a vetrinarian. That is an eight year degree. That would mean working til I'm 60 at least, another 12 years.
I guess we'll just see what the future holds. No worries!
Boeing has been good to me and my family. We put one son through college and another joined the Marines.
Life is good!

1 Comments:

Blogger Ryan F said...

Dad, Congrats on the 30 years. That is incredible!

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home