A time to share

Monday, June 21, 2010

House Warming Party

Joan & I attended a house warming party at our friend Brian and Teri Masters last Saturday night.
They are a young married couple, actually newlyweds... They have a very nice home in Kent, Wa.
Teri is a very commendable interior decorator.
Brian is an accomplished sleight of hand artist.
We were the first to arrive.
Many of their new neighbors arrived with children in tow. It is interesting to see all these people with young children, just yesterday, that was Joan and I! :)
None of their neighbors knew that Brian is a magician... that is until someone asked my wife how we know the Masters... My wife told them that her husband, me and Brian are magicians. Well that spread like wild fire around the house, soon Brian was doing card magic and flourishes. It was a joy to watch him do what he does best!\Brian performs daily at Seattle's Pike Place Market as a street performer. It shows too, he is easy going with his card routines. He blew his neighbors minds, then he looks over at me and says, :Hey Tim, you going to do something to help me out?"
I said,
it's your home, you're doing fine."
I didn't want to step on someone else's parade. But Brian insisted, so... How do you get a magician to show you a hundred card tricks? Ask him to show you one!
Instead of doing a card trick, I did a rubber band trick for a girl of about 9-11 years old. I say I performed it for her, but this is one of the things I love about magic, as I perform for a child, I am nailing her parents and any others watching. Her eyes got big and round when the rubber band "melted" thru the other one, but the adults watching, audibly gasped...
I believe that many times the adults think that what I am doing will fool their child, but not them, this is really fun when you get them too.
Well, one thing led to another, and soon Brian and I were hitting on all cylinders.

I learned some things at Brian's home that night.
Brian is secure in his talents. Relaxed and sure. He was not threatened by another magician performing at "his" venue.
I was a bit nervous performing in front of Brian.
This is somewhat common amongst magicians.Why it is, I don't know, but it is. Adrenaline spike I call it, the hands start shaking and nervous energy gets ya...
As I got going, I did relax and had a great time!

1 Comments:

Blogger Gerry Adams said...

Sounds like a nice time. Magic is Great!

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home