A time to share

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Bags & Eggs & More...

Monday night found me at my good friend Jose's practicing the art of magic. I asked Jose to help me with the Gazzo bag routine... It was a nice session with just three of us attending. Leslie proved himself to quite an artistic magi with his pirate get up and sword swallowing. I think I will have him teach me how to do that, He is from India you know!!!
He also shared his pet mouse...Leslie is a really great childrens entertainer... I can learn alot from him..
We also worked on the Tricky wallet as Jose has been wanting to refresh himself in it's arcane value. I think we did a good job covering it. Jose performed the Gazzo bag routine for us, I love Jose's smile, it is quite captivating..

We discussed the use of vulgar language in magic, the do's and don'ts. Opinions about using borderline jokes as well. I favor the idea of not using them at all. They have the potential to do more harm than good. If you alienate even one spectator, that may be their impression of magic and magicians forever. Why run the risk if it is not necessary?
I think it especially important when ding magic for children, we are all intelligent enough to use descriptive words instead of swear words. Our culture seems to think swearing is o.k. Again, if you offend even one person....
I have learned this from actually having offended some people, though unintentional, it could have EASILY been avoided. You rarely, if ever, get a second chance to make a first impression.
I performed three fly for the boys, kind of off the cuff as I was getting ready to go to work. They both really liked it and said it was ready for audience consumption... I haven't been performing it for anyone as I feel unready... hmmm.
All in all it was a good night of magic!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home