A time to share

Monday, August 06, 2007

A Professional???

Saturday arrived just as scheduled... funny how that works just like clockwork!
I was scheduled to perform magic at the Farrington Court Senior Center. I arrived an hour early to check out the lay of the land and to get set up. It was a good thing because the band I was following ended about a half hour earlier than expected.
I was tired from fishing the two previous days with little sleep. I slept for 14 hours from Friday night to Saturday morning. My body seemed to want more... Not a good felling going into your first paid gig.
But as the saying goes, the show must go on.
A good size crowd was on hand as they were having a Luau. i started my set with something for the children called the Bird Catcher. I had them come forward and make a semi circle. I explained that the two birds were attracted to small children. They seemed to enjoy the trick. One child exclaimed "Wow, that's cool!" That's all you can ask for as a magic performer. I noticed my hands were shaking a little as I started. I told myself to get over it, you have done this hundreds of times... the next effect is a card trick by John Cornelius called Marked for life. I like the trick because the patter allows the audience into who you are a bit.. It went over pretty well and I was off into my regular set of Chinese sticks, acrobatic knot, ring rope and wand... these all were handled with great chops and some fun audience reactions and participation. I threw in Gazzo's floating card routine next. This is a great gag. Much laughter was happening. These old folks were having fun!
For my finale was the cups and balls. Of course this slayed them and I overheard someone comment, "I thought I had it figured out until all those oranges appeared."
Another couple I spoke with said they never saw a thing and they were behind me. I have quit worrying about what people who are behind me might be seeing, I think this is why they rarely see anything. Your attitude portrays that there is nothing irregular going on, so they never suspect!
Since it was a Luau, I got fed some good food too!
Does gettig paid make you a professional? I don't consider myself in those ranks yet, but it was nice to get some validation for all the hard work, time, and effort over the last 4 years!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tim,
I knew you could pull it off. Congratulations. How are we going to celebrate your first paid gig? Did you make enough to take us out to dinner? Nice looking cups in the photo!

J'

6:20 PM  
Blogger Timmy Jimmy said...

Aye, let's go!

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home