A time to share

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

The Joy of practice...

I was going to write tonight about the lack of motivation I have right now for practicing my magic. I have a gig coming up on the 29th of this month... I need to practice some new material that I have pretty much down, but still it is ALWAYS in need of repeating the reps. I also want to start working out but lack the motivation for that as well... I just stopped by my friend Tom Franks' blog and he has just uploaded a picture about practicing as well. I find it interesting because someone left this comment there. "RA Swigert said...
Ahhhh... The joy of practice. It's a great feeling to dust off an old routine and bring it back to life. I wish you the best out there, with reborn tricks in your arsenal.
-RA"
And while it is true that it is great and fun and wonderfully anticipatory to get new and exciting tricks going... I am felling rather old and tired at the moment.

Maybe all the fishing is wearing me out. Fishing is supposed to be a relaxing endeavor, or so that is the mindset most people have. I find it to be a lot of work, launching your boat, baiting your lures, keeping them active, driving the boat, cleaning your catch and your boat ans gear afterwards... perhaps it is because of a lack of sleep? I continually stay up for 24 plus hours at least once a week, often stretching that into 30 hours or more. Most "normal" people cannot even fathom this idea, sure, they can wonder and think how it might be, but to actually live it for 12 years...
I am not trying to whine here or complain about my lot in life, I have a great life and have been blessed beyond what I deserve, nice home, great family, three children all doing great, loving wife and dog... decent job, good health and a somewhat sharp mind...
It's just that recently I am having trouble wanting to work on magic, I love magic and I have several "free" hours a night to devote to practice. I mean really practice, another blessing I am squandering?!
Magic like many worthwhile endeavors is a loner activity in that it is something you must work on by yourself for the most part. The saying, "If it's to be, it's up to me." has never been more appropriate.
I wish I had a magic buddy that lived close by to work with, someone to challenge me and keep me motivated.
Perhaps if I keep this image in mind it will help!

4 Comments:

Blogger Scotty Walsh said...

Nice post Tim.

I loved the picture from Tom's blog of your table. Nice picture here of you with the Sticks. I'm in exactly the same mood right now. If fact, I've been battling it for about a decade. I always think about how good I could be if I just picked one thing and stuck to it and practiced eight hours a day, like a Russian acrobat. But that isn't who I am. I am a diverse guy with diverse interests and at the end of the day I have as much to offer as the guy who spent 15 years to create an eight minute act.

But look at the bigger picture. You will go through highs and lows of practice, but in the long run you will continue making huge improvements. I am always disappointed with my progress from day to day and month to month, but from year to year, I'm always surprised by how good I've gotten. If you don't feel like practicing the new material by then, just stick with the old material for now. That's why we have old material.

I am doing a show in Klamath Falls on the 15th, a show in Philly on the 27th and a show in Denver on October 8th. All of them will include my trapeze act, spaghetti and umbrella act, and some new magic stuff. It's a little scary, and I should be practicing now. But instead, I'm blogging. Why?

But I know it will be fine by the show dates. Nothing lights the fire like a show being only days away.

Take care Tim. Hope to run into you soon. Good luck with the shows and practice.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Timmy Jimmy said...

Thanks Scotty, glad to hear from you! Congrats on your marriage and your new born. That is so awesome in so many ways! You and Gina are going to great parents and your children are going to have a blast. Call me anytime.
Love always, your friend
Tim

1:30 PM  
Blogger Tom Frank said...

Nice post and nice pics. (also liked the fish pics)

Life is a journey. . . . enjoy the ride.

11:50 PM  
Blogger Timmy Jimmy said...

I'm tryin baby....

2:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home