A time to share

Monday, February 13, 2012

Magic For the Chamber

Last Friday I was contracted to perform an hour of my stand up show for the Maple Valley Chamber of Commerce's annual Presidents Dinner and Auction... whew, that was a mouthful.

I was informed it was a black tie event, but who knows what that means nowadays?
I secured this gig back on about January 12th... just so happens that The Boeing Company I work for and our union bribed us employees with a $5000 incentive to take a contract offer a year early. I didn't get to vote on the contract as I am a "Beck Objector" which simply means I do not want any of my union dues money to be used by "my" union for political stuff. They always give money and endorse the Democrats which is the opposite party I favor mostly.
Anyway, that was a long winded wind up to mention that I used the bribe money to purchase new clothes which I mentioned in an earlier post... see "The Emperor's New Clothes (Stylin')"
It is partly because of picking up this gig that I went all out and up graded my wardrobe... I am glad I did. What a difference dressing up can make in the way you carry yourself!
Not only the way you view yourself, but also the way others view you. Get on an airplane in shabby looking jeans and a dirty Tee shirt, or wear a decent suit, see which way gets you the better treatment. Right or wrong it is what it is.
I sent out emails to magicians I know asking for advice on a set list. I gave them options and a list of many of the effects I do. I got back four different avenues or order of effects if you will that they thought might make a good show. Both of the magicians that responded have seen video of my show so they know my character and performing persona.
It was really fun and eye opening to read their thoughts. I went thru their set lists and actually practiced my effects in the order that they suggested. This was very enlightening for me. I noticed some things about why I perform them in the order I do, and why that is a good order. (For me)
Logistics, and timing and other factors.
I think one of the most important aspects I learned is that is is extremely important to do material you are familiar with and like to do. Also doing them in an order that is comfortable for yourself.
This creates a relaxed-ness for yourself that makes your show much smoother and thereby creates a confidence that shows in your demeanor when you perform.
Since I don't perform as often as I would like, most of these 'shows' are major events for me and I stress over them. Stress is a killer to a performer. So being familiar and comfortable with yourself, your work and your eventual show pays huge dividends and translates outward to your audience.
They may not "know" you are scared spit less, but they can "FEEL" it.
As a performer you can feel when the "Vibe" is right and a good flow is happening between you and your audience.
We hit it at this event!
I love that! People laughing, gasping, clapping, hooting & hollering... music to an entertainers ears!
The woman that hired me I am sure she was stressin' over whether or not this magician she hired was the real deal. After the show she approached me and said, " you were great! I am so glad we hired you, I wish my 14 year old son could have been here!"
That is all the praise I really need from my employer!

1 Comments:

Anonymous fifa14kk said...

It doesn't create the may or even the implies.List File is Polygon's information and thoughts and opinions line around the junction associated with sports activities and video gaming. It seems like upon weekends.If you happen to had been patiently waiting i do hope you could keep your current character from your Success experiment with xfffdx94 it had been attached to any Bungie consideration within the cloud, all things considered xfffdx94 forget it.
FIFA 15 Coins IOS

FIFA 15 Coins PC

1:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home