A time to share

Monday, October 30, 2006

Teddy report

Sunday after church I visited my brother in the hospital. I don't know if he knows I was there...He is off life support, meaning they took the tracheal tube out of his throat. He is breathing on his own. I am sure his throat is very raw from all the vomiting and having the tracheal tube down his throat for three days... OY! This is all great news!
I am not sure what all he was hooked up to, but most of it was taken off... He is looking much better. He was moaning and trying to get up out of the bed while I was there. He is in a lot of pain right now. So I think it best that they keep him somewhat sedated. It was a long process getting the internal bleeding to stop. Many efforts by the doctors to penetrate his liver to get it functioning. My understanding is they were not successful and had to by pass his liver, they said they were going to put a shunt (1.to shove or turn (someone or something) aside or out of the way, Surgery. a. to divert blood or other fluid by means of a shunt) Into his liver, but the liver was too hardened and they couldn't get it in. So, they put something else in called a coil. This is to stop the blood, or divert the blood from the liver. The liver is not functioning properly and so the blood would not flow through it and was backing up causing the blood vessels of the esophagus to burst.
The bleeding is under control after two full blood transfusions. Now his body must deal with all the strange possibilities that can arise from having other peoples blood coursing thru his veins.

Today we meet with his doctor to have the opportunity to ask any questions. I am looking forward to this as I haven't spoken with a doctor yet and have been getting all my information from his common law wife. I don't know if I like getting the information from her second hand. Something might get lost in translation!
Keep praying! He still has a long road.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home