A time to share

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Doe a Deer a Female Deer

Last Friday the 16th was my 29 year anniversary at Boeing! Weird! mixed feelings. I'm old! I'm not that old! Wow! Where did the time go? I was only planning on working here for 5 years! What about my dreams wants and desires?
Have I fulfilled any of those?
Absolutely! I live the American dream, the white picket fence, (so it's brown, white and chain link!) The two and a half children, yeah, I know, we have three! And we have a dog. I have a beautiful wife, a decent job that covers the bills, a bit of extra money at the end of the month, rather than the other way around. You know, where you have more month than money!
Last night a doe (female deer) was on the Boeing property, kinda walked in by the guards I guess. It was inside the Renton field area, which means it had to figure a way out since the whole area is fenced. The Renton police were called and between a Boeing guard and the police we were able to shoo the lost animal thru a large open gate. Hope it didn't get hit by a car.
Over the many years here at Boeing I have seen many animals, rats, cats, dogs, pigeons, rabbits, turtles, (they come out of the river) beavers, muskrats, raccoons, coyotes, osprey, and Salmon running up the river. Many times there are so many seagulls that it is a danger to aircraft taking off and landing on Renton field.
I think the funniest "animal" I've ever seen was one night while towing a 757 jet plane across the bridge at the mouth of the Cedar river where it empties into Lake Washington, a coyote was standing still staring at us. (you must envision this, it is about 1am, pitch black except for the lights on my tow tractor) The coyote refused to move, it was to our right near the lake, but in our tow path. I slowed the tow down to a stop and asked a wing walker if it was real? He shrugged his shoulders. I said here throw this at it. I handed him a hammer which he pitched towards the offending critter. it didn't budge. We realized it was a stuffed animal.
Behind us a female Boeing guard had her revolver pulled from its holster, now there's a funny, scary thought! The animal was someones taxidermist coyote affixed to a wooden platform. We moved it aside and continued on our way.
Well, the next night I again had to tow a plane over this bridge and again the offending critter was in our way, we set the beast on top of the hood of my tow tractor and I took him home. I placed him in our front yard garden. It was comical to watch people slow down as they drove past and their heads turned to look at our new friend.
Come to find out that the animal was on the Renton field for a purpose. The manager had placed it there to keep birds off the runway. A little communication would have helped! I returned the furry fellow and he is still there to this day, a little tattered but still scaring the birds!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tim,
Just wanted to let you know I read your comments on my blog and am going to respond there later today.
I appreciate your comments. You seem like a very nice person.
Susan
(Temporal Lobe)

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home