A time to share

Monday, June 04, 2007

Don't know what to say!

Talked our son Eric into coming home for his uncle Ted's funeral. He arrived Friday night at about 6pm-- stayed til Sunday about 6pm.
It was great to have him home for a few days. Joan whipped up a great meal of rice and pork chops and all the trimmings... He may be going to Iraq in September. He is looking good. He spent a lot of time with his cousin Michael.

The funeral was a really nice funeral, as far as they go... It was hard to see old friends and family under the circumstances.
A bagpiper played some Irish songs... The minstrel boy, and wearing of the green. He did a really nice job.
A prayer was said by a Reverend and then one more song by he bagpiper, Amazing Grace was played, something we all can benefit from... Grace.

Ted was cremated and his ashes were distributed to all the family members in little two inch urns. I think I will put mine in a nice mesh bag and tie it to my golf bag. Then every time I go golfing I will have my brother with me... Morbid?
I spoke about Teddy at his memorial. I started out reading a poem called "The Dash" Written by Linda Ellis:
I read of a man who stood to speak
at the funeral of a friend.
He referred to the dates on her tombstone
from the beginning...to the end.

He noted that first came the date of her birth
and spoke of the following date with tears,
but he said what mattered most of all
was the dash between those years.

For that dash represents all the time
that she spent alive on earth...
and now only those who loved her
know what that little line is worth.

For it matters not, how much we own;
the cars....the house...the cash.
What matters is how we live and love
and how we spend our dash.

So think about this long and hard...
are there things you'd like to change?
For you never know how much time is left.

If we could just slow down enough
to consider what's true and real,
and always try to understand
the way other people feel.

And be less quick to anger,
and show appreciation more
and love the people in our lives
like we've never loved before.

If we treat each other with respect,
and more often wear a smile...
remembering that this special dash
might only last a little while.

So, when your eulogy's being read
with your life's actions to rehash...
would you be proud of the things they
say about how you spend your dash?

I told of a couple stories from our childhood. There are sooo many To tell...
Ted was a character. He could fit in anywhere, anytime.
I am truly worried about his children.
I will miss him as I walk thru this life!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home