A time to share

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Astonishment VS. Manipulation

Recently watched a short interview by Paul Harris. He was talking about astonishing people with magic vs. fooling them with manipulation.
It was a very good, revelatory interview.
It caused me to stop and think about what I am trying to do with my magic.
It is one thing to be able to work hard and become a good manipulator of say, cards or coins. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that... in fact I am into doing just that. I gain some wonderful satisfaction from pursuing this craft in that area of expertise, having said that however, the other side of the proverbial coin is, can you astonish people?
Does what you do look like real magic? Or do people think, well, he is a good manipulator of coins or cards, "I don't know how he did that, but I saw something, some movement, I know when he did it."
Here is a picture of a young girl, this look on her face is the look of pure astonishment!

I think I had just revealed her card as it floated right out of the middle of the deck!
What is my magic to be about!?
Joy?
Look at the pure, unabashed joy on this man's face! He is having a GREAT moment!
I caused that!
That is a great thing. When you look out over your audience and see joy. It is very uplifting.
I have a show in a few hours at a Church near me. I will be performing for K-6 graders.
I am excited to uplift them and bring some joy into their lives! This in turn uplifts me.
My mentor Tom said to me that Shakespeare once said that an entertainer is only as good as his audience, and right now, I suck! He said this to try to break the ice and maybe get a laugh. To try to get the audience to loosen up. But the fact is, it is a true statement!
I would like for my magic to truly be astonishing!
So, I will strive to be astonishing myself!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home