A time to share

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Giving back

Last Friday I went to the Covington Multi Care facility to give blood.
Puget Sound blood people were there and I am on their emailing list. They also call me periodically.
I actually do not like to receive their calls, but...
Someone's gotta do it!
I have AB positive blood, which is rare in a positive kind of way.Type AB-positive blood is called the "universal recipient" type because a person who has it can receive blood of any type.
Usually they want me to give plasma, but it is a long process, about an hour, and they have to be set up for it. They take my blood out of my body, run it thru a machine, extract the plasma and return the blood. I have done that several times, but it involves me driving about 20 miles each way and it is inconvenient for me.
My AB positive blood, In addition to donating to the same blood group; plasma from type AB can be given to A, B and O; plasma from types A and B can be given to O.
Why did I tell you all this? Because I believe we owe it to our fellow man to help them out when we can. Today, I have an appointment with about 35 children in Fife. They are summer day campers. I will be performing magic for them for about an hour to an hour and a half. This is not a paid gig, and I will have to get outta bed in the middle of my night to do this. In fact, I have been tired a lot lately. I am thinking it is because of the blood donation last Friday, and working out on Sunday with weights and yesterday doing some good cardio sweating... either that, or I'm getting old! Lol.
I am tired already just thinking about it. It will be a 60 mile round trip. I am not trying to boast or sound like I'm whining here, or looking for kudo's.
Many wonderful people have put into my life over the 50 years I've been here. Coaches as a child. Parents, other's parents and recently some wonderful magicians giving freely of their time to help me learn the craft.
Besides, sometimes it is just plain old good karma to do nice things for others!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home