A time to share

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Cub Scouts 100 birthday

I performed at a cub scout troop last night. It is the celebration of the scouts 100 birthday.
That's pretty awesome!
One day in 1909 in London, an American visitor, William D. Boyce lost his way in a dense fog... He stopped under a street lamp and tried to figure out where he was. A boy approached him and asked if he could be of help?
"You Certainly can" replied Boyce. He told the young lad that he wanted he wanted to find a certain business office in the center of the city. "I'll take you there", said the boy.
When they got to the destination, Mr.Boyce reached into his pocket for a tip, but the boy stopped him.
"No thank you, sir. I am a scout. I won't take anything for helping."
"A scout? And what might that be?" Asked Boyce.
The boy told the American about himself and his brother scout. Boyce became very interested. After finishing his errand, he had the boy take him to the British scouting office. At the office, Boyce met Lord Robert-Baden Powell, the famous British general who had founded the scouting movement in Great Britain. Boyce was so impressed with what he learned that he decided to bring Scouting home with him to America!
On February 8th, 1910, Boyce and a group of outstanding leaders founded the Boy Scouts of America! Scouts celebrate February 8th as the birthday of Scouting in the United States!
I did a nice half hour set of magic for the boys and their families.
We all had a great time!
I was a Scout 40 years ago, and one of my sons was one as well!
Long Live the Boy Scouts of America!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Gerry Adams said...

Hi Tim,

I like the story. I also wrote a post on Saturday about Scouting, as my 9 year old son got his WEBELOS badge that day. I think it's a great activity for kids to be in. I wish more did it.

Gerry http://gerrya2u.blogspot.com/

12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home