A time to share

Thursday, January 20, 2011

What's an Idea Worth?

My friend and magic buddy Mark Jensen planted a seed of an idea a couple of weeks ago while we were visiting and sessioning...
He mentioned that he had read an article by Master magician Roberto Giobbi.
Roberto said that in order to not forget all that you learn magically as you travel on this magical journey, that it might be a good idea to write down all the tricks (I don't know if it was just card tricks, as I have been unable to find the article)you know on individual cards,
thereby making a very magical deck indeed... and then every day you can shuffle and cut the "deck' and a trick that you know or in my case want to learn, or perhaps one from long ago that has fallen by the wayside because you have "moved" on can be worked for that whole day.
Well, me being me, I have begun this process. It is amazing how much "stuff" I know.
Not only have I written down card effects, but also certain card maneuvers or sleights that I need to Polish or keep polished, but also some coin magic as well.
I have decided not to write down things from my "larger" repertoire, although I have included some sleights necessary in some of my Parlor magic.
I think I have about 70 cards at present in this deck.
This might be Too large of a deck and am thinking that I might make two decks.
One for actual effects, or tricks, and one for coins and sleights.
And to keep from being bored with one trick all day... I am thinking it might be best to choose a card from each of the two decks.
As an entertainer in magic, I go thru a lot of cards. As they become worn out somewhat, or my decks shrink because of signed cards handed out as souvenir's to spectators... this allowed me to "get rid" of some of my cards and give them new life!
Awesome!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home