A time to share

Friday, April 22, 2011

StarBucks

Yesterday I took my son Ryan to the store with me to get some needles to pump up balls with, basketballs primarily... It was just an excuse to spend some one on one time with him. He will be 27 in June and well, I know someday he
We arrived at Starbucks at about 7:45. This particular Starbucks closes at 8:00 pm.
We go our drinks, sat down and immediately a young woman announced, "Fifteen minutes to closing."
Well, at the ten minute or there abouts mark before closing, I said in a rather deep, resonant military voice, "Ten minutes, ten minutes..."
No one laughed except me. At the five minute mark to closing, I repeated that we have five minutes, five minutes...
And precisely at 8 pm the young woman says we are closing, time to leave.
I made some comment to her, and she replied, "at least I said it with a smile on my face, see!"
Man, I was disappointed.
I remember when I worked in restaurants as a teen ager... we were required to not only stay open til the posted closing time, but people could stay in the store until they finished eating whatever it was they purchased.
I didn't like it but that's the way it was.
I mentioned this to my son Ryan, and he defended the Starbucks policy saying something about how people will stay in there all day on WiFi..
I just wanted to enjoy a relaxing cup of "Joe" with him...
A multi million dollar company like Starbucks, I thought they had a little more class...

2 Comments:

Blogger Gerry Adams said...

I used to go the Tully's around the corner from where we work on the way in sometimes, as I liked it better than Starbucks. But sadly it went away due to lack of customers, the same with the Quiznos next door. Oh well.

1:52 AM  
Blogger Timmy Jimmy said...

Gerry, I used to always stop by Tully's on my way to fishing or golfing after work, and then one day... gone..had to have been poorly managed... I remember when some Asian fellow bought it and the atmosphere left the place..it became ALL BUSINESS... Guess he ran it into the ground as the saying goes...

1:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home